August 7, 2012 Primary Election
Offices that file with the local election authority in 2012:
Associate Circuit Judges
Township or Ward Committeeman
Township or Ward Committeewoman
In addition, any other offices that are vacated due to death, resignation or any cause, and which, under law, are required to be filed at the 2012 general election.
Offices that file with the Secretary of State in 2012:
Secretary of State
8 U.S. Representatives
17 State Senators – odd-numbered districts
163 State Representatives
*Some Supreme, Appellate and Circuit Court judges are either on the ballot or could be on the ballot depending on appointment dates.
When to File:
|Filing Opens:||February 28, 2012 at 8:00 a.m.|
|Filing Closes:||March 27, 2012 at 5:00 p.m.|
First day filers will select a number by random drawing to determine placement on the primary ballot. After the first day, candidates will be placed on the ballot in the order of their filing.
Documents Needed for Filing With the Secretary of State:
- Paid receipt from political party for filing fee
- $200 – Statewide office, U.S. Senator
- $100 – U.S. Representative, Circuit Judge and State Senator
- $50 – State Representative
Political party representatives will be available in the State Information Center on the first day of candidate filing to accept filing fees.
- Proof of Identity – Voter Identification card, Missouri driver’s license, birth certificate, other form of certified or photo ID.
- A copy of an affidavit filed with the Department of Revenue affirming that the candidate is not currently aware of any delinquency in the filing or payment of any state income taxes, personal property taxes, real property taxes on the place of residence, as stated on the declaration of candidacy, or is not a past or present corporate officer of any fee office that owes any taxes to the state, other than those taxes which may be in dispute. Department of Revenue representatives will be available in the State Information Center on the first day of candidate filing. http://dor.mo.gov/forms/5120.pdf
Must File in Person (Exceptions):
Candidates for state offices must file in person with the Secretary of State. However, members of the armed services on active duty or persons who are unable to appear in person because of physical disabilities may file by certified mail. Persons eligible to file by certified mail should contact the Secretary of State’s Elections Division for further details at Missouri Secretary of State, Elections Division (573) 751-2301.
Maps of Missouri’s congressional, senatorial and legislative districts are located on the Secretary of State’s web page. Detailed congressional senatorial and legislative district maps may be purchased from the University of Missouri Geographical Resources Center at (573) 882-1404, or on the Web. http://www.sos.mo.gov/elections/s_default.asp?id=maps
Campaign Finance Reporting or Personal Financial Disclosure:
The Missouri Ethics Commission will have representatives at the Secretary of State Office on the first day of filing to answer questions regarding campaign finance reporting or personal financial disclosure. On other days during the candidate filing period the Missouri Ethics Commission can be reached by calling (800) 392-8660 or (573) 751-2020. http://www.mec.mo.gov
For additional information regarding elections or candidate filing call:
Missouri Secretary of State – Elections Division (573) 751-2301